Saturday 24 March 2012

The Light Between Oceans review

I initially read this book as from previous posts you will know that I am very interested in WWI literature and this novel explores how men from the front line attempt to fit back in to the normality of family life and civilians views as a result of the war. But it is also an exploration of human nature and life choices and how they can affect lives that you don't even know.
 
Tom Sherbourne returns from WWI with experiences that he never wishes to share with others. He meets Isabel Graysmark, whose family have had their own tragedies with her two young brothers being killed in quick succession. They fall in love and marry and Isabel joins Tom on an island called Janus where he is the lighthouse keeper. Married life starts off as idyllic with them both isolated on such a beautiful island, but it soon changes when Isabel miscarries three babies. One day a boat arrives on the shore carrying a dead man and a very much alive young baby. Tom and Isabel make a choice that will change a lot of lives...
 
This is possibly the best book I have read so far this year. It is beautiful to read (I now want to live on an island off the coast of Australia!), you feel so much for all the characters involved and I wished there could be a happy ending for everyone. A really refreshing book as I had no idea what was going to happen next. A glorious debut from Stedman, I will be looking forward to her future novels. Without giving too much away this book will make you think and break your heart. Yes, there were a few tears towards the end and I was so disappointed when it finished as I could have read so much more! This is definitely going to be a future read for my book group!
 
The Light Between Oceans is published on 26th April and can be pre-ordered here

No comments:

Post a Comment