Sunday 26 January 2014

A Place of Confinement

This was a Christmas present for me as it combines two of my literary loves - the Regency period and  some sleuthing! A Place of Confinement is part of a series of books about Dido Kent, a thirty-something year old unmarried woman, who is sent away with her aunt after turning down a marriage proposal from an unsuitable man. While staying in her aunt's brother's house, a young lady in his care goes missing in a suspected elopement, but all is not what it seems and Dido must interrogate and spy on a host of colourful house guests to find out the truth.

I found this a very enjoyable read, with some interesting characters and a true mystery with some unpredictable revelations. Dido can be a little irritating at times (but then most of the famous sleuths can be!) and the dialogue is a little too modern, but I would like to read further books in this series. I would recommend this to fans of Jane Austen and Agatha Christie. Plus, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I loved the authentic design of this novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment